Geeska Afrika Online

Uganda: Gets $18m for Hosting Refugees

KAMPALA (HAN) February 13, 2016 – Public Diplomacy and Regional Stability Initiatives News. The UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) has offered $18 million to support Uganda’s humanitarian response to refugees and host communities.

This response follows statement by the UN’s refugee agency about the country’s rising humanitarian pressures that require as much as $243 million in aid support.

The Central Emergency Response Fund pools contributions from the international community into a single fund to ensure that money is available to support urgent relief work at the onset of emergencies or for crises that have not attracted sufficient funding.


Due to the severe underfunding of the 2015 Inter-agency South Sudan Refugee Response Plan as well as a lack of financial support for the influx of refugees from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda was one of nine countries selected to receive funding from the CERF. The other beneficiary countries were Mali, Libya, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Burundi, Tanzania.

In line with Uganda’s refugee response practice, 30 per cent of the funds will be used to support host communities, while the remaining 70 per cent will be used for emergency response to new arrivals.

The CERF funding will provide lifesaving assistance in six key areas: Protection, registration of new arrivals, child support, prevention and treatment of sexual and gender-based violence, food assistance; livelihood activities, shelter, health and nutrition plus clean water, adequate sanitation and hygiene.









Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
Copy link