Somaliland: The UK Foreign Office "Terrorist attacks could be indiscriminate"

London (HAN) December 11, 2014. Public diplomacy and National security news. The high threat from terrorism still current at: 11 December 2014, according to The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Somalia, including Somaliland except for the cities of Hargeisa and Berbera to which the FCO advise against all but essential travel. Any British nationals in areas of Somalia to which the FCO advise against all travel should leave. Any British nationals in Hargeisa or Berbera who are not on essential travel should leave, (Click FCO Updated Press Release)

There is a high threat from terrorism, including kidnapping, throughout Somalia, including Somaliland. Terrorist groups have made threats against westerners and those working for western organisations. The FCO believes that there is a constant threat of terrorist attack in Mogadishu. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) still believes that terrorists continue to plan attacks against westerners in Somaliland.

 

Terrorist attacks could be indiscriminate, including in crowded places, high-profile events, events involving government officials and in places frequented by foreigners.

Somaliland: A United Nations special security group expressed concerns  last month about plans by a Somaliland state to create a privately funded security force to guard oil companies’ operations, according to an internal U.N. security document reviewed by the Geeska Afrika Online Magazine.

“That is hogwash to say there is no transparency,” Somaliland Resources Minister Hussein Abdi Dualeh said in an interview. He said the government has published the signing fees it collected over the past year or so, including $750,000 from DNO and $1.8 million from a Yemeni firm. The security force, he said, would be headed by the state’s interior ministry.

Somaliland President Ahmed Silaanyo signed off on the oil protection unit (OPU), the Somalialnd new security force promised after Anglo-Turkish Genel Energy’s hasty exit in September last year.

 


The Geeska Afrika Online is Free government-funded. HAN (Horn of Africa newsline) shapes its editorial policy free from political and commercial influence.


 

The latest updates Follow twitter.com/GeskaAfrika

Geeska Afrika Online (1985 -2014) – The International Gateway news and views about the Horn of Africa (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Somaliland, Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti, Kenya and Uganda), the best IGAD news and information Online Site for the last 20 Years.

HAN & Geeska Afrika Online (1985-2014), the oldest free independent Free Press in the region, brings together top journalists from across the Horn of Africa. Including Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Sudan, Djibouti, South Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, Oromo, Amhara, Somali, Afar and Harari. Plus, we have daily translations from 150 major news organizations in the Middle East and East African regions. Contact at news@geeskaafrika.com

2 COMMENTS

  1. I am disgusted and agitated seeing purported news titled “Somaliland: The UK Foreign Office “Terrorist attacks could be indiscriminate” published purpose?
    Were input contents new? Sorry to say NO, as terrorism threat FCO was published on October, and continue “Still current at: 11 December 2014 Updated:31 October 2014” but additionally amalgamated distortion piece of video where Somaliland’s Minister of Interior?
    And to your knowledge, if FCO’s threat could prevent traveling Somaliland, today, Mr Chris Allan, second UK officer at Addis Ababa embassy, and his entourage would have been hindered, their meeting with Somaliland President Silanyo?

LEAVE A REPLY