Nairobi (HAN) April 18, 2014 –Mobile phone operator, Orange Kenya, this week rejected claims that it is searching for potential buyers. Orange Kenya said instead it is looking for “strategic partners” so that money could be injected into the business to support it in the long term.
This rejection comes after former workers of the telco had gone to court seeking a lasting ban on a deal aimed at selling the firm or “any of its property.”
The workers further claimed that Orange Kenya had started selling some of its prime properties.
They further claim the firm is facing a financial crunch and had been in talks with third parties for its sale.
Mickael Ghossein, CEO of Orange Kenya, told Telecompaper the firm wanted to increase the company’s market share that is why it is looking for a strategic partner.
The firm said it wanted to roll-out a 3G network throughout the country and launch the Multi-Service Access Node (MSAN).
Ghossein told Telecompaper Orange Kenya is a “going concern” and that it would pay more attention on expanding the business and serving its customers.
These workers were sacked in 2006 under a program that saw 2,500 of them aged over 50 years being let go.
– HAN & Geeska Afrika Online (1985-2014), the oldest free independent Free Press in the region, brings together top journalists from across the Horn of Africa. Including Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Sudan, Djibouti, South Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, Oromo, Amhara, Somali, Afar and Harari. Plus, we have daily translations from 150 major news organizations in the Middle East and East African regions. Contact at email@example.com